|Scrat's Continental Crack-up|
Michael A. Levine
Scrat's Continental Crack-up is a computer-animated 2-part short film starring Scrat. It is the 4th short film in the Ice Age franchise and serves as a teaser for Ice Age: Continental Drift. It was released in 3D with the Jack Black movie Gulliver's Travels on December 18th, 2010, and released on iTunes Trailers on December 30 th, 2010. and 2019, it was later re-released with Walt Disney Live action movie, Dumbo.
Scrat (Chris Wedge) sniffs an ice cap, looking for a place where his acorn would be safe. When Scrat hits the ice, it starts to crack, so to prevent trouble, Scrat pushes ice back into the hole. When Scrat merely touches the ice with the tip of his acorn, it ends up breaking the entire mountain below the ice cap. Scrat gets his acorn and falls into the rift, passing by the Dino World, where Buck (Simon Pegg) is mounting his dinosaur nemesis Rudy (Frank Welker) while he goes, and ends passing through all of Earth's layers, eventually arriving at the metallic sphere, which composes the inner core. While pursuing his acorn, Scrat makes the core spin and breaks Pangaea into the contemporary continents, creating giraffes by making their necks stretch while Africa is being separated, and making the boot-shaped Italian Peninsula kick a nearby island (accompanied by a scream of "GOAL!") during its formation. Scrat eventually trips and starts bumping between the sphere and the solid outer core, creating a Scrat-like Moai, a Scrat Sphinx (which loses its nose when it falls off), and 4 Scrat faces on Mount Rushmore. Scrat later picks up balance and grabs his acorn, but ends up spinning in the core until he's thrown out of the rift into the upper atmosphere. While falling, Scrat positions his body as if he would fall into the sea, but ends up crashing on a piece of ice, which breaks in half, separating Scrat from his acorn. Scrat then proceeds to scream in frustration, and the short ends.
- Scrat as Chris Wedge
- Buck as Simon Pegg (cameo)
- Rudy as Frank Welker (cameo)
- Peter Dinklage as Gutt (cameo)
- Aziz Ansari as Squint (cameo)
- Jennifer Lopez as Shira (cameo)
- Nick Frost as Flynn (cameo)
- Rebel Wilson as Raz (cameo)
- Ray Romano as Manny (cameo)
- John Leguizamo as Sid (cameo)
- Announcer as Jason Fricchione (cameo)
- When Scrat is chasing his acorn, it goes behind him, and changes direction, but right before his tail gets caught, he's facing the opposite direction.
- When the continent breaks and creates Africa, the giraffes are at both of its sides instead of the land that is later supposed to be Africa.
- After Scrat comes out of the Earth, the countries are shown moving away. A few countries are not shown, such as the British Isles.
- Scrat slidin through ice is similar to a older 1966 short film
- The third Ice Age short film to be rated G by the MPAA, after No Time for Nuts and Surviving Sid.
- Scrat's Continental Crack-up at Apple Trailers (includes full short)
- Scrat's Continental Crack-up at the Internet Movie Database
- Scrat's Continental Crack-up on Youtube
|Ice Age (2002) • Ice Age: The Meltdown (2006) • Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (2009) • Ice Age: Continental Drift (2012) • Ice Age: Collision Course (2016) • The Ice Age Adventures of Buck Wild (2022)|
|Scrat • Manny • Sid • Diego • Ellie • Crash and Eddie • Buck • Granny • Shira • Zee|
|Gone Nutty (2002) • No Time for Nuts (2006) • Surviving Sid (2008) • Scrat's Continental Crack-up (2010) • Ice Age: A Mammoth Christmas (2011) • Cosmic Scrat-tastrophe (2015) • Ice Age: The Great Egg-Scapade (2016) • Scrat: Spaced Out (2017)|
|Scrat Tales (2022) • Buck Wild (TBA)|
|Lost Historical Films during the Ice Age period • Falling for Scratte • Unearthing the Lost World • Buck: From Easel to Weasel|
|Ice Age • The Meltdown • Dawn of the Dinosaurs • Continental Drift|